Picture this: you want to take the perfect golden hour selfie where the orange hues of the sun hit your eyes and face at just the right moment, and you’re practically glowing.
Golden hour is god’s gift to selfies and makes you look naturally airbrushed, glowy, and ethereal.
But unfortunately, a golden hour seldom comes, thanks to overcast skies, bad weather, and seasonal changes, which makes it quite hard to get that perfect picture.
Thankfully, TikTok has come to the rescue, and one of the biggest crazes on the platform is the sunset lamp.
Also referred to as sun lamps or sunset projectors, these portable lamps can bring you the magic and beauty of the sunset right from the comfort of your own home.
All you need to do is set up your lamp, and you’re ready to go.
If you’re interested in getting into-worthy golden hour pics, check out our list of the best sunset lamps you can get, and where you can find them.
What Is A Sunset Lamp?
Sunset lamps are a great way to add some color to your home and come in a variety of different shapes, sizes, and styles.
One of Gen Z’s favorite decor pieces, a sunset lamp is a projector lamp that recreates the serenity of a sunset inside your own home.
What’s great about sunset lamps is that they often come with a variety of preset color options, which means that you’re not limited to the typical orangey-yellow glow of natural sunsets.
From pinks and purples to greens and blues, the color list is endless. This means that you can choose your color preference depending on your mood, and create unique and stunning pictures using light.
Typically, sunset lamps have a clear glass bulb that looks a bit like a magnifying glass. The head of the lamp is circular and is attached to a long pole. The head can often be moved around so you can adjust the angle at which the light shines.
Sunset lamps also tend to come with remote controls. With the remote, you can adjust the brightness, change the color options, and even set a timer.
Without further ado, let’s get started at looking at the best sunset lamps.
Best Sunset Lamps
OUR TOP PICK
Illuminate your room with this sunset lamp projector from Tacopet, which is guaranteed to make your skin glow and your pictures pop.
With 15 different color options, you can truly pick your vibe depending on the mood, setting, and occasion. From the classic orangey hue of natural sunsets to bright greens and vivid purples, your color options are endless.
Powered via USB cable, this lamp is fixed onto a strong aluminum base, which has a non-slip bottom to keep it in place. The head of the lamp can rotate 360°, but unlike most sunset lamps, it can also flip 180°.
- Multiple Color Options: Up to 15 different color options to choose from depending on your mood
- Remote Control Operated: Remote allows you to fully customize the lights, as well as change the brightness, and set timers
- Adjustable Lamp Head: The lamp head has a 360° rotation and 180° allowing you to fully adjust the angle and projection range of the lamp
- USB Powered: Can be plugged into various devices and outlets - even power banks for portable use
- Doesn’t Overheat: Perfect for extensive use
- Some customers noted that colors aren’t as saturated as other models
- Some issues with USB plug in
Also Available At
Combining art and technology, this sunset projector from Nellsi comes with 16 different lighting options for any place and any time.
Whether you want to create a modern romantic vibe in your bedroom, create a warm and pleasant environment in your living room, or need the perfect party lighting, Nellsi has you covered.
Not only are there three different options for brightness, but there are three different options for background, which means that you can tailor each different color option to your preference.
Made from a thickened crystal lens, the light can be enjoyed from a further distance thanks to its lengthed projection range.
Powered via USB, this lamp can be easily moved around and can be taken with you on the go.
- Multiple Color Options: 16 different color options, as well as 3 brightness settings and 3 different sunset background options
- Adjustable Tripod Base: This allows you to change the angle of the lamp head for different effects, and the tripod design creates stability
- Remote Control Operated: Can adjust all light settings from remote, including switching to gradual or quick change, which will create a light show
- USB Powered: Easy to transport
- Can be hard to keep the base sturdy
Also Available At
Light up your life with this sunset projector lamp. Not only does this lamp have sixteen different light effects, but it also comes with four dynamic modes which include flash, strobe, fade, and smooth.
With this lamp, you can curate the perfect atmosphere.
Made from durable aluminum, the lamp sits on a tripod to keep it steady and in place.
It also has a 360° swivel ball which allows you to adjust the lap for multi-angle shots in both portrait and landscape mode.
Unlike most other sunset lamps, you can control the light using a mobile app as well as a remote control.
It can also respond to sounds, which means that it can transform in time with your music - perfect for both party atmospheres and chilled evenings.
- Multiple Lighting Effects: 16 different colors to choose from, as well as 4 different lighting modes (flash, strobe, fade, smooth)
- Adjustable Head: 360° rotating head to adjust angle and projection length
- Multiple Brightness Settings: 7 different brightness settings
- USB Powered: Easy to transport and can be used with portable power banks
- Remote and App Controlled: Can be controlled through a smartphone app as well as a remote control
- Responds to Sounds: Responds to music, creating a light show that is in sync with your sounds (perfect for parties)
- The app can be unresponsive at times, and not available on android devices
For a cheaper alternative, check out this sunset lamp from BWOU. Powered by USB, this lamp perfectly recreates the beauty and ambiance of sunsets, which can be brought into your own room.
Like most sunset lamps, the head can be rotated 180°, which means that you can get the perfect angle for your pictures.
It’s also an incredible value for money, and the company offers full refunds or replacements if you are not satisfied.
However, as this lamp is on the cheaper side, it only comes with one color option: classic golden hour glow.
So, if you’re not limited by budget and want a variety of different lighting options, consider another lamp from our list.
- Inexpensive: Great value for money
- Adjustable Head: Head angle can be adjusted to change the size and intensity of the projection
- Durable Metal Base: Long last and sturdy
- USB Powered: Can be easily transported and used with portable power banks
- Free Returns and Refunds: If there are any issues with the product then the seller offers free refunds or returns, even after Amazon’s return window
- Only one light color (sunset orange)
- Short USB cable
Also Available At
Frequently Asked Questions
Get your last-minute queries answered here!
Are Sunset Lamps Safe to Use?
It’s been proven that using light therapy - particularly during the darker, winter months - can have a positive effect on our mental health. As the sun sets early and the darkness draws in around 5 pm, it can be difficult to relax and unwind after a long day.
However, sunset lamps are generally considered to be a form of light therapy, and using one can help boost our moods. Although they are made to emulate the natural glow of the sunset, they don’t give off any harmful UV rays, which means that they're perfectly safe to use.
Just be sure to not leave your sunset lamp - or any lamp for that matter - on for extended periods. This can cause the bulb to overheat, which often breaks the bulb. But in worst-case scenarios, it can also lead to electrical fires, which can be fatal.
Once finished with your lamp be sure to switch it off.
Are Sunset Lamps Worth Buying?
Although they may seem like just another TikTok fad, these lamps are a far prettier and more creative option than standard lamps. Although they don’t come with pretty ceramic bases or dainty light shades, they can change and influence the ambiance of your room.
This means that you can curate the perfect environment to fit your mood, especially with lamps that have multiple color options. Whether you’re after a dreamy romantic light for your bedroom, or a relaxing vibe for your living room, this can all be achieved with a sunset lamp.
Also, some sunset lamps (like XINZOKYC’s) can respond to music and will change hues accordingly. This is perfect for parties and gatherings.
Although the “TikTok” lamp may seem like another passing trend, it’s worth considering purchasing one for your own home.
Not only can they give you that perfect golden hour lighting for your Instagram pics, but they can help you to create a certain mood or change the ambiance of a room, thanks to their limitless color options.
They also have some surprising health benefits and can be used as a form of light therapy to help combat low moods during dark, winter months.
Why not try this TikTok trend today?
- Top 15 Colors That Go With Maroon - March 16, 2022
- Gothic Bedroom Decor Ideas To Create a Sense of Mysticism - March 16, 2022
- Farrow & Ball Colour Dupes From Crown, Dulux And B&Q - March 16, 2022