Are you looking for a sofa that fits into a smaller space? If yes, then these contemporary sofas are perfect for you. They come in various sizes and styles, from modern to classic.
Sofas are often considered as the centerpieces of our homes. Whether they are placed in living rooms or bedrooms, they add comfort and style to our interiors. Sofas are also great for entertaining guests, so it’s important that they’re both comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.
Whether you are on the hunt for a modern sofa, a modular sofa, or statement pieces, There's a wide variety out there to suit your needs.
Here are some of the top contemporary sofas for smaller spaces.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
This beautiful sage green sectional piece is a brilliant place to start. The bold color is inviting, and the material is soft and comforting.
Perfect when furnished with cushions in neutral hues such as white or cream, as well as accompanied by some bold wall art, this green sofa really packs a punch whilst also remaining relatively classic, sleek, and reserved.
This pink velvet piece is a true statement that oozes class and sophistication with a bubbly edge.
The bright shade will bring joy to any room, and its clean lines and simple design make it easy to mix and match with other furniture pieces. The deep seating is perfect for lounging about whilst still looking stylish
This incredibly handy multi-functional piece of furniture has a pull-out sleeper that can be used as extra seating or storage.
It’s got a sleek look with a high back and a thick cushiony seat. This couch is ideal if you want additional seating but don’t have much space.
It also has smooth wheels, so you won't have to worry about scratching up your floors every time you pull out the sleeper.
This classic style sofa, or love seat, in neutral fabrics, is great if you are looking for a small sofa that doesn't impose on your living space.
With a comfortable cushion filled with foam, this sofa is ready to provide all-day support.
Its clean lines and timeless design are sure to complement any décor. This would be great in a bedroom or as a guest sofa.
A perfect one to go for if you want elegant and timeless style in your furniture pieces.
This deluxe-looking gray sofa is a perfect choice if you are after a piece that has multiple functions! Not only is it a stylish and contemporary sofa, it also has durable chenille covers that are perfect for spills and dirt.
It has storage underneath it hidden out of site and also has a sleeper sofa installed within it as well.
The small, compact size of this love seat is perfect for a guest room or for a small living area that wants to make the most out of limited space. It also has the benefit of coming in a deep brown color as well, for a most classic look
This small, compact twin sofa has a built-in memory foam mattress that's guaranteed to have your guests sleeping soundly. With a classic off-white twill fabric and chunky wooden feet, it is the perfect blend of form and function.
Granted, this square-armed sofa is not the most affordable option, but it certainly delivers in terms of comfort and durability. It also comes in a soft blush pink color as well.
This stunning dusky pink cocktail sofa is a wonderful addition to any home. It is great for those who need an extra place to sit but don't want the bulk of a huge, deep-seated sofa in their rooms.
It has a classical clamshell back with golden pin legs to add that classical Old Hollywood glamour into your home. It is also a gorgeous velvet fabric, which is surprisingly easy to clean — hooray!
Team this space-friendly sofa with low side tables and mood lighting to really set the scene.
Looking for something unique? This stunning gray offering from Homary is desirable and different. It features a uniquely shaped back that is perfect for snuggling two people up whilst watching your favorite flicks.
At 55", it is a comparatively small love seat with a high-density foam cushion for maximum wear and tear.
It is also available in a range of colors including dusky pink, pastel blue, off-white, and husky gray
Another option from the folks over at Homary, this cream dream of a sofa offers a beautiful combination of modern and traditional styles. The plush cushions are made using 100% cotton and feature a zipper closure for easy removal.
It can accommodate 2 adults comfortably and has enough room left for additional seating. With its sleek frame and timeless design, this sofa will definitely be one of your favorite pieces.
Did we mention that it even has a built-in coffee table within the cushion? Genius is an understatement.
Looking for something you can move around easily? If you are all about the Feng Shui of your room and love to explore different furniture placements, try a sectional piece like this!
Capable of changing places and sides easily, this classical-looking sofa brings functionality to this old glamour style sofa.
It's a light cream and has the charmingly antiquarian puckered sides of a chesterfield sofa, adding a touch of class to this modern build. With built-in storage to boot, it's a win-win over here
What To Look For When Buying A Small Sofa
Now you've got a good idea of the kinds of sofas available to you, it's worth having a look through our top ten tips on how you can make the most of your small space, whilst choosing a sofa that suits your needs.
1. Choose a size that is proportional to your room’s dimensions. It's always important to measure when buying new furniture, but doubly so in a small space and when dealing with a focal piece such as a sofa!
Your eyes can be deceiving, so get out that tape measure!
2. Make sure it has enough storage space. If your sofa is taking up the bulk of your room, try to go for a style that has adequate hidden storage space underneath.
This will save you space in other areas of your house, helping you to maximize your square footage.
3. Put the sofa against a wall or on an open shelf. A large, bulky item like a sofa takes up too much space and makes the area look cluttered.
The same goes for placing it near windows or doors. Instead, place them near walls, as it will make the room appear larger.
4. Don’t forget about the floor. You should have at least one foot of clearance between the edge of the sofa and any other items in the room.
This prevents tripping accidents and helps keep clutter under control. It will also make your room easier to navigate in general and make it look bigger.
5. Multi function is your friend. Sleeper sofas or sofa beds can be a great way to use your living spaces for overnight guests.
This is especially true for studio apartments when a sleeper option may not include a spare room. There are many affordable sofas that come equipped with a mattress for guests.
6. Modular furniture. Sofas with innovative designs can often help you fit more into your space, whether it's an L-shaped sofa or a corner sofa, having the ability to break it down and reconfigure it can be perfect for a small space.
7. Keep in mind the furniture placement when planning your home layout. Chances are, the sofa isn't going to be the only thing in your room!
It's a great idea to write out a paper plan or diagram so you can get an idea of where your different furniture elements will sit.
8. Think about how many people live in your household. A sofa that doesn’t accommodate all members of your family could cause issues down the road.
For instance, if two adults and two children share a single sofa, it might prove difficult to move around comfortably.
9. Avoid placing a large coffee table next to the sofa. Coffee tables take up a lot of space and create a barrier between the seating arrangement and the rest of the room.
Opt instead for a low side table or end table that won’t block access to the sofa.
10. Size matters. You may be tempted to go for something big, but sometimes a two-seater sofa is more practical.
In this case, maybe think about other seating options as well that you can place throughout the space.
How To Style A Sofa In A Small Space
The sofa is the focal point of many homes, especially if you have a small space. Here are some of our top tips on how you can make the most of your new sofa by styling it in the best ways.
1. If you can't get the sofa of your dreams, or it just won't fit in an awkward space, why not try some smaller alternatives around your sofa such as poufs, footstools, or bean bags as well that you can pull out when you need them.
They may not be ideal, but they fit their purpose and let all your guests sit down.
2. Don't forget about the lighting! It can help set the mood. Also, consider how the light from overhead fixtures may affect the appearance of the sofa and its surroundings.
You'd be surprised how much different fabrics and finishes change in certain lighting, so be sure to play around with yours at home to find the perfect fit.
3. Add decorative items like pillows and curtains to give the sofa more personality. The sofa is usually the main focal point of a room, so it is a perfect opportunity for you to show a little of your personality in the home with some fun accessories.
A rug, throw pillow, or ottoman can help soften the lines of a hard-edged sofa. It’s also good to use a rug if there’s no carpeting.
4. Go bold. A bold shade can be perfect for a sofa. Whether you are after a classic Blue Velvet or a floral print, there are so many fabric choices you can play around with to find your perfect sofa and add a pop of color to your home.
5. Consider using a rug under the sofa to protect your flooring. A rug provides additional cushioning for your feet and gives the room a softer feel.
It is also a good opportunity to color coordinate to with the rest of your room and sofa accessories for a more cohesive look.
A sofa is one of the most important pieces of furniture in any room. Whether you're looking for a stylish statement piece or a comfortable spot to relax, we hope you've found the perfect inspiration to get you going on your hunt for that great key piece to tie your room together.
Be sure to make the most of your small space, you will be surprised how much storage, durability, and multi-functional elements you’ll find in modern sofa design these days!
Happy hunting, we'd love you to let us know what you think below!
- Top 15 Colors That Go With Maroon - March 16, 2022
- Gothic Bedroom Decor Ideas To Create a Sense of Mysticism - March 16, 2022
- Farrow & Ball Colour Dupes From Crown, Dulux And B&Q - March 16, 2022